I agree and disagree with Mark. As a LONG time Opti coach at the National level in the US, a head instructor of three different sailing schools. The target audience is the kid who is either aging out of an Opti (15) or sizing out (just too tall / big) before they are 15. The sizing out kids tend to go to Laser 4.7 or 420, the age out kids (most of them) tend to be smaller and aim at club 420s. What you want is to provide them another avenue then club 420s (i.e BORING).

The problem is the club 420 is what high schools and colleges use in the states, hence, nice clean development path, motivation to sail them even though they are pigs (they don't even use trap and kites in either scenario). yes some are buying international 420s (much better boat), but I doubt that will get much of a hold since a lot of the "non laser youth" sailors are part of the high school scene (hence don't by boats). IFF you can get kids trying out Club vipers at the national Opti regattas, and target the kids/ parents that are considering buying their own 420 (10k) that the Viper is MORE FUN, you might get some to bite. The key from the kids perspective is MORE FUN (they hate 420s, trust me), and from the parent's perspective a better buy (longer lasting, good resale value), you might have something on your hands.

Of course, having to explain to them that they will need to drive to Florida to race them might kill the deal, so building up local fleets will be key as well. Nice club incentives, good deals, upgrade kits at a good price (to move from Club to full Viper) would help. For clubs, target the clubs that already have local cat fleets, nice beaches, etc.

My 2 cents. I think their is a huge demand for a fun boat for kids 15+ to sail, as must drop out of sailing due to 420s being pigs and lasers not being for everyone. Heck, I know of 10+ kids of the top of my head that don't have anywhere to go besides laser radial and will never be big enough for full rig, hence potential cat skippers....