Originally Posted by daniel_t
I don't consider what the guys do at the causeway "mast up storage" though. It's more like "leave the boat on the beach and hope the tourists don't bother it too much" storage. It's on par with leaving your boat in a busy park.

As for the Sailing Center not serving cat sailors... I have to agree to some extent although they are trying to get better. They have plenty of cats (Waves, Getaways, a H16, H17, and a Tiger,) but the space to sail in is really too limited for a Tiger or F16. I watch the F18s and F16s and by the time they have the spinnaker up and drawing well, they have to take it down.

I agree, we don't have mast up storage in dunedin... but 2 nights a week is great (they were going to make it 2 nights a month). I also agree we take a risk leaving our gear there, but so far the worst to happen is sand on the cats, and the occasional beer can (ok we have found a few other gross items) but for 20+ cats guys that have permits (or dont), to not get our gear messed with year after year, is pretty damn great. Sure couldn't do that in NY or Los Angeles.

I am not 100% sure what you are saying about "space to sail in is really too limited ", we do spin runs from Dunedin to Bellare and the gulf is pretty damn huge (are you guys not permitted to take the cats in the gulf right around the corner?).

Again i am not knocking the center, it has produced some Olympic sailors and i like to see the sport being promoted but i also think the center is CRAZY for taking the opti fleets under the sand key bridge into the pass. That pass has serious tides, currents, and when all the conditions are right (or wrong) it is a washing machine in there.