Originally Posted by John Williams
Joe, what you have to look at is "what is my fastest course?" Looking at the pics it seems the breeze wasn't really on, and it was shaping up to be crowded on the left gate (always refer to right and left sides of the course as though looking upwind to avoid confusion). Crowded AND the outside of the pinwheel, so lots of extra distance sailed IF you got through clean, which you didn't. Nobody did. Bail right, slow down to make the gybe on the black kite if you have to, give in to win. Odds are, you'd have sailed away from the yelling, slow pinwheel hung up on the other gate.

edit: which i THINK was Tim's original point...

Yes, that was my exact point, thank you very much John. To Joe, do you think I intentionally tapped you, as if I could have not? You gave me no other choice, but if it makes you feel any better, I also had to go up and hit Karl above me, to avoid T-Boning you really hard.

No matter who's on "STARBOARD!!" the more important rule is, don't hit anyone, or cause others to do so. You had plenty of clear water below you and could have given us all room to round. What were you thinking? All 3 of us would just vanish, because you were on Starboard?

But as John stated, the 'faster' way, would have been to round the other gate pin and sail away in clear air, vs. ride the pinwheel around in dirty air, then suffer for the rest of the leg with 2 F16's and an F18 (pink spin) sitting on you. In very light air, clear air is king.

Blade F16