Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
Originally Posted by Jake
man, just spent some time in that thread on Sailing Anarchy...you guys did start quite a storm. It's all in the wording. Nice that it appears to be resolved and I think you guys are headed down a good path. Contrary to some of the talk, it would be much more affordable to retrofit a standard "ocean hugging" boat with bottom-up installed foils to get it airborne than to go through the contortions of modifying the hull to accept some really oddly shaped daggerboard only to find out another oddly shaped daggerboard works better (and now it won't fit). A fore-aft top adjustment doesn't have to be buried in the trunk either and could just be bolted to the top of the deck.

Personally, after seeing the result of the phantom in the surf during the Florida 300, I'm waiting for someone to build a hull where the dagger board trunk opens through the side of the hull so the foil can be fully raised and permit sliding onto the beach. There are a lot of considerations there but I'm sure it can be done....heck, build the structure on the side of the hull like an old-school leeboard and unpin the entire structure when approaching the beach.

You still can't go beyond max beam, and if you put the box on the inside you would lose a large amount of righting moment. This move has opened things up for innovation ,but it definitely doesn't mean it will be easier or even better, but the opportunity is there. It will be interesting to see the journey.

How much does righting moment matter? (I really don't know)...the Moths seem to get along ok with very little of it. Talking with JC about the CF20 Foiler, once they get up to speed with it and start dealing with really high apparent wind angles, they lose so much of the typical side force on the sail plan that they struggle to keep the windward hull flying. It often results in the windward hull dropping down to the water. That action can result in a wave hitting the people on the trapeze which is, reportedly, pretty darn dramatic at 30 knots!

Jake Kohl