Originally Posted by bacho
Not that I am against the idea, but I would like to see some builds or proposals on how it will be any cheaper to use foils inserted from the bottom.

I saw a price on the exploder "kit" for foils. Seems like it was about $3k.

A lot of guys have sawed out their daggerboard trunks to replace them with curved, or wide open, trunks or even moved the location of the trunks for different types of boards. We had a few guys here do that to get to C-boards but their modifications would have to be re-done to get to any revision of the current foiling boards. When a new board style is developed, it may require a completely different trunk configuration to accommodate the rule that required that the board be inserted from the top.

With an option to insert the board from the bottom of the boat, it means you could conceptually take even a boyer MKIII and configure it with a foiling board without cutting the hull. Any fore-aft adjustment needed for the foil could be done with a mechanism that was bolted/laminated to the top of the existing deck and inserts inside the existing trunks could allow proper operation (although one might argue the value of investing that much into an older A-cat). You could also wildly change board styles without having to go in and modify the hull.

What we're probably going to see early on is the V-style boards like used in the America's Cup...and those really don't have any way to go in from the top into a typical trunk configuration.

Jake Kohl