To the original question, I think the class is doing well overall, but it seems there is some significant regional variation.

Here in Michigan, I recently compiled our CRAM numbers for the last 5 years and we are seeing a positive trend in regatta attendance for F18s. We support multiple classes, and the biggest growth over the last 5 years has definitely been our H16 class. It's not the hard-core class legal racing guys, but a bunch of fun people that are getting their feet wet and having a blast. This fall, two of those upgraded to Tigers and will be racing with the F18 fleet next year. If we get the foundation right, the rest will take care of itself...

I'm also a member at CSYC on Lake St. Clair and we are up to 8 F18s (up from 3 four years ago). 4 of those boats are new to the class within the last 3 years. They are set up and ready to sail for the Wed night and Sunday AM summer series. We've worked hard to increase the confidence and skill level of the new guys and held several small 1-day and 2-day sessions where the new guys skipper and the more experience guys crew. We also brought Robbie and Jill up last July to help a 1/2 dozen boats improve their game.

All said, I think we now have 19 F18's that are raced on a semi-regular basis in Michigan. Definitely a high-water mark for us.

I've also been disappointed with participation in the winter regattas in Florida. Last year I made a big financial commitment to sail Tradewinds and Charlotte Harbor. We got hit with a double-whammy of bad conditions and small numbers at Tradewinds, and only 3 boats bothered to show up to Charlotte Harbor. Two were from more than 1000 miles away. That was a real disappointment and I really hope it was a temporary aberration. Work prevented participation in next week's BiB regatta in Tampa, but I'll be there for the CHR again in early February.

Anyway, I'm bullish on the F18 and sailing in general. I love my C2 and have zero desire to trade it in at this point.

Jeff R

H18, C2 USA1193
cramsailing.com
crescentsail.com