Originally Posted by samc99us
I've heard comments that "the F18 class is too competitive", which refers a bit to the East Coast fleet, but I think is a bit of a misnomer as even the very best sailors in the class are extremely helpful and friendly!

The "the F18 class is too competitive" thing could come from the fleets enforcement of the rules on and off the water, some are put off by it and some embrace it. Having been the a$$hole on the beach that harasses it's membership about membership dues and and boat certs for the last 9 years I can tell you for a fact nobody thinks you're getting it right. There are always complaints about being to nit picky and too lax and sometimes it's at the same time from the same skipper which is always a pleasurable conversation. My point... not all complaints need to be pursued, and there isn't a single fleet that fits everyone persons wants and needs but we do have diverse group of fleets which I think could satisfy the vast majority of those interested in multihull racing without having to overhaul our fleets.

The most straight forward way to keep people coming back is to constantly reach out to old and new teams, let them know when an event is coming up and create a buzz. Every successful fleet always seems to have at least one or two people that everyone knows and hear from about upcoming regattas. Be one of those people and your fleet will succeed. As with anything you get out of it what you put into it.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"