As far as general behavior, as much as our reputation as partiers may say otherwise, catsailors aren't the only ones, and probably aren't even the worst offenders. For the most part, we police ourselves.

I've been at a giant regatta (all monos except for a small group of big cats and tris), where some folks were actually arrested for breaking into the yacht club to get to the alcohol after everyone had gone home after the party.

Naturally, that evolved into a Rule 69 hearing, and a few boats were not on the line the following morning (I think some folks were still in jail, so the 69 hearing was more of a formality). That takes a special kind of stupid...

Back on topic of OA / RC shaming... One of my mentors taught me long ago (after a dismal performance to start a regatta) to NEVER respond to those kinds of posts. You can never win, and if you ignore it, eventually it will flame out. Not to say you "ignore" the root causes and fixes going forward, just don't fuel the fire online.

I struggle with this, because I want people to know that I'm looking out for them. Even if it's just to reiterate that sometimes, bad things happen, and the fix is a judgement call between two bad choices (sometimes it's as bad as abandon or not).

Mike