I wasted someone's weekend once. At least, that's what I was told by a parent after:

Consistently not hailing OCS numbers all weekend long.

His child was leading the regatta until being OCS in the last race (one of several identified in that start).

At the finish, I called the sail of the boats, followed by "OCS."

One of the other sailors said, "You were OCS!" to which this sailor said "I know."

The sailor knew the only way to win the regatta was to get the race chucked (several prior attempts by others resulted in redress denied for OCS calls). So, the sailor filed for redress under a "class rule" which didn't exist. During that hearing, the sailor again admitted (to the jury) knowing they were OCS. Redress for abandoning was denied.

After the (delayed) awards presentation, the parent laid into me about how unfair I was not to hail sail numbers of OCS boats at the start. I tried to explain that the opposite was true (only boats near me would hear them), and he basically had an argument for everything I said, culminating in "We just wasted an entire weekend!"

Fortunately, I didn't know who he was while I was talking to him (I had assumed he was a parent of one of the OCS kids whose OCS redress hearings were denied). I may have gone after him for sportsmanship after that.

Mike