Wouter,
Wouldn`t a compromise between the two groups of F16 sailors be in the best interest of the class here ? I think that exploring both extremes and setting one as the final decision is not as good an outcome as finding the middle ground.

"We are going to continue with the proposal and vote of on the tip weight rule in slightly modified form. However, using my authority as the Formula 16 chairman and giving as cause the unacceptable situation that maintaining the current rule would immediately outlaw 15 Stealth F16's and some 24 Stealth R's from the class, I immediately lower the minimum required mast tip weight from 6.5 kg to 5.5 kg."

Surely this is enough of a change in the rules, it allows all Stealth owners inclusion in the class, and only lowers the tip weight by 1kg, a compromise all sensible F16 owners should accept. I think you`ll find most Taipan sailors THAT ARE INVOLVED IN F16 will be more than happy to accept this over a complete scrapping of the mast tip weight rule. It should keep things closer between the two different camps, (even if the difference is only a percieved one), thereby not alienating either party.
The situation might then not be an ideal one for carbon mast producers, or those who wish to use them, but at least those who wish to compete on equal footing and still use alu. masts won`t PERCIEVE they are at a disadvantage.

Steve