They are afraid that with our tacking angles and different speeds it will create problems for them.

In my experience it is rather the cats that will have problems with the tacking angles of the mono's. Typically they outpoint you on the start line and they can luff you up beyond comparison there. Also at the bottom mark the mono's sail very deep and nearly always achieve a inside overlap at the bottom mark. Most often because a catmaran is coming from behind and hardly has any rights that way. In addition the two groups seperate from each other pretty quickly with the cats going wide and the mono's going high and deep. The only issue I ever saw arise was at the top mark were typcially the monos try a port approach to the A-mark alot more often. In cat sailing this is a big no-no because you hardly ever can stay clear and get in. The mono's feel, for some reason, that they can and always misjudge the speed of a catamaran.

Combined fleets (the few times I did them) were actually alot of fun. It is amazing to see some mono's getting really good vmg and from the other perspective (the mono one) it is unbelievable how the cats pass the other boats.

Best advice for a cat in a mixed fleet is to just sail around a mono is any way you can (windward or leeward, doesn't matter) and get as quickly as possible to the clear air on the other side. If you have to bear down and arc around a mono, then just do it. You loose less time then when trying to maintain your optimal course and speed.

Wouter

Last edited by Wouter; 02/12/06 07:32 AM.

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands