Keith:

Marylands a bitch. I'll admit it.

In Talbot county, there are so "few" places to put in, that the ONE county-owned "free use" ramp just started charging non-county residents a $50 per launch fee to cut down on the traffic from out-of-towners launching their boats.

When it boiled down to it, what we found out is that the local fisherman were upset that others outside the county were able to trailer their fishing boats, and compete at a lower cost than the locals that have to pay county taxes and slip fees and so forth. I can't remember if they passed that rubbish, but its not like I care.... you know why?

Because I can launch at TAYC anytime I want. I not only have friends that are members, but its where I learned to sail. The first time I brought ole squalus up north, I looked for a place to launch, and even though its a "closed club" and I'm not a "member" I walked in the gates and asked to speak to a club manager. Took less than 5 minutes of simply asking if I could use the otherwise un-used beach, and I was good to go. He said that I had to be out of there by 6pm because of a party that night, to which I agreed.

Similarly, I've launched from the Ferry dock in Bellvue (simply because its closer to my house) after I asked the Ferry-skipper if he had a problem with me being there. Of course he said he didn't mind.

In Myrtle Beach SC, we rented a room at a hotel on the beach however there was a seawall between the parking lot and the beach. We went a block down the street to one of the "resorts" that had their road end in the sand and went to the front desk to ask if it was ok to put the boat in there. Of course they said no problem. As we were putting up the stick, a police officer came by and asked if we had permission to use the private property, which we had just obtained.

Four years ago, Bahia-Honda State Park. A friend (RTodd) wanted to launch his 18SX on the beach side of the state park. There was a kayak ramp from the road which would suit a beachwheeled cat just fine. He was told no, no way, impossible, and he had to buy a launch permit for the marina side and at least one nights "anchorage fee" for his SX. He was forced into ramp launching, and sailing out through a VERY narrow marina entrance/exit channel, once resulting in him hitting rocks with his bow to avoid a cigarette boat kareening through the channel.

You see, while we might not just had free reign to go about tromping where-ever we want, people are reasonable enough to discuss possibilities for fair use. Governments lack higher brain functions, and are therefore unable to adapt to different situations in a reasonable manner.

What I can't effing stand is people moping around saying that "life's not fair, I can't put my boat in within 30 minutes of my house, damnit what is the government doing to help me?" You sound like a bunch of Katrina victims that spent the night before partying it up on Bourbon street. Don't rely on the government to do jack-diddly for your cause. Unless you can demonstrate that your wishes will either get votes, or get tax dollars, then you're wasting time complaining about some pie-in-the-sky dream that will never happen.

In short, be wary of any man (or woman) that says "Let the government take it over! We'll all be happier!"

My policy will increase about $600, $100 of which will go to the uber wealthy.

The wealthy vote and pay proportionately much more in taxes. Sucks don't it? I wonder how many floridian carpenters, electricians, masons, plumbers, building suppliers, inspectors, and land developers are going to be able to feed their families because these "uber weathy" mansions are going to be rebuilt. You might have a leg to stand on if you claimed that they were going to be rebuild regardless of the tax benefit.

Also, I'll pre-declare my hipocrasy - the two inland lakes that I sail at are both parks. One is a city park and the other is a state park. However, you can't drink alcohol at either, and at both you're subject to very stiff regulations. (For instance at the city park lake, you are not permitted to enter the water beyond your knees due to "wildlife and water quality restrictions")