RE: pricing on "Can't Miss" cable bones... MY BAD, they're $50 for 4, not $100... vs. $32 for 4 on the indestructable stainless ones I recommended... not sure how those light stainless bones are gonna knock any teeth or lights out? If I'm sitting that close, or it's that rough, I hook up. Otherwise the shockcords keep them out of harm's way.

Anyway, good advice here on trap systems, but I'm assuming our man azcat inherited old hook style harnesses with his boat, and just wants to get out on the water for minimum $$...

Interesting debate 'tween Mary and 1616 on "Can't Miss" bones... seems 1616 got much more life span out of them than Mary... wonder what his usage/storage/crew weight numbers are?

Seems to me the plastic grab handle is under COMPRESSION, and is the weak part of the concept. I wonder what the UV resistance of that plastic handle is?

PS: While the ball and socket is snag-free when NOT trapezing, aren't you usually hooked up during wicked pitchpoles? And doesn't the tension of flying 'round the forestay usually KEEP you hooked up? If you're underneath the boat, you still have to unhook the ball from the socket.

... I solve the problem w/ the excellent ol' Matson Quick-Release buckle... nice.