WOW-there are a lot of folks who didn't have or use their "chicken line"! Reduction of trips around the forestay can be reduced like 95% with the Hawaiian-style righting line also used as a chicken line when attached to the rudder gudgeon pin. (Especially critical on pitchpoley things like- but not exclusively- Hobie 16s). USE THEM only if you want to keep your female crew.

I had a Ringy Dingy pin come out of a shroud pin, pulled by the beach wheels tie line. I never noticed it, until tacking before the race, when the Hobie 20 mast came down- with the mast base pin still in! A totally novice crew looked up but he never moved. The mast fell across him, pinning him to the deck, but just allowing him to breath. He- and I were lucky, as there was enough room for him to breath but not get out, and there was no leverage to move anything. Lucky stars on that!
It took 10 minutes for a chase boat to come over to lift the mast tip (Red Lobster Regatta, Florida).

Conclusions- 1. regattas need chase boats.
2. Never leave a mast base pin in,
3. Tape or look at the curl pins before leaving the beach.

This fellow was undamaged but was never seen again. Don't blame him.

Dacarls:
A-class USA 196, USA 21, H18, H16
"Nothing that's any good works by itself. You got to make the damn thing work"- Thomas Edison