The problem with scheduling in Florida is the weather. The worrell is run just about as early in the season as it is sane to do. Any earlier and your likely to be racing into a N'easter (not good -- I trained in the Jax-St. Simon's Ga. area). Much later and your in Hurricane season (hell of a thing to get ground crew caught in an evacuation). Which leaves really late in the season nov.-dec. which looks like a great time line.

When you look at the schedule of distance races.

May Worrell

June Crac 100

July ?

August ?

September -- rough riders, round the island

Oct ?

Nov ?

December -- steeplechase

The ? is for my bad memory on the schedules, please fill in the blanks. Jan - april would work if you stay south of sebastian inlet.

Carl --- On the ARC 22, I don't think the boat is right for a series due to production issues. IE How many can be built in x period of time? As for sponsors, we have them signed up. We're working out the kinks with the YC's also looking at the costs of running a transport for chartered boats. Basically looking at the plan again post Sept. 11. Also, working out the kinks with the insurance companies (this one is the best hurdle).

Thats where the series is at. Do I think the ARC is overpowered ? NO I have never heard of a sc/ARC 22 mast failure (as mentioned above) I have sailed the sc22 in 20knots (405 lbs of crew) -- had a ball, scarey fast w/ chute.

But, then the only boat that has ever bitten me hard is the Nacra 6.0. I've crashed a few but the one on the 6.0 was the worst (3broken ribs, 3 fractured ribs -- same side, cracked cheekbone, jones fracture in right foot all in one high speed stop -- sailor meets sidestay and mast in 25+ winds = sailor looses) Took about two years to get my head straight after that one.

Steve