Reports from Jacques Bernier

Day 1

Well after much drama and nearly missed flights and lost bags on Air Chance (France) we actually made it onto the water. I tell you - between Greg almost not making it - then all my gear going missing with the airline.. there was bound to be something else go wrong.

Of course this morning as we tried to leave the boat park - we put a hole in the side of the boat. (Smacked a trailer on the beach)
This meant we had to find some tape - and find it quick.... Luckily for us Alberto from Italy was still around and had some for us.

Our results I think we OK - we improved as the day wore on - our top finish is a third. Tomorrows races will finish the qualifying and we'll begin racing head to head with the top 80+ teams out of over 160 - they split the field into two groups - gold and silver and we're obviously hoping to be in the top group (I think that's a definite at this point)

So for tomorrow hopefully more of the same conditions.. So far the weather has been nice - really hot with good winds....and the bread is good.

No Internet at the site - so I'm writing this on the neighbor's computer until I can find a spot to hook up.

Follow the action at the web site for the event:

http://f18worlds2006.com/

Thanks to our sponsors:

Hobie Cat Co.
Hobie Polarized
Kokatat

update - just checked the results and we're in 9th at the moment.
One guy had a bad accident with a port boat as they were just turning and flying the spi downwind - he was hit in the face - broken jaw - huge slice - concussion and broken shoulder... he's pretty bad. Our roommates from Australia rescued the guy from the water - it happen just in front of us however we didn't see it or notice the crew in the water...
We will all be pulling for him...he's in local hospital in Toulon.

MORE

The Nacracorns are a couple up the front.. Misch of course... Helge and CHristian are doing well on the Capri

Other than those... not sure who you're not sure of.. there are like 6 or 7 Tigers in the top ten after day one... but now I don't know.. pretty much all even-steven.. some boats are better in light air it seems.. but it's all so close.. that's why they call it a formula..I think its working.

Sorry I didn't write last night... couldn't find any Internet connection.

Yesterday we had two challenging races in very little wind....it was just like home in San Diego..... We had another good result of a second place - placing us among the leaders... We are just a few points from the top five at the moment.

Since today there was no racing (though we did sail out twice to the course but only to be sent back due to dying wind) we are still trying to complete the qualifying... we need one more race to equal things up to split into two separate fleets.

Some news on the German crew who was injured - he's had an operation to wire shut his jaw and fix the cut to his face... as well some pins to his shoulder. He is still in local hospital and we're all relieved to know he's going to recover.

A few teams were randomly checked for measurement after the days races yesterday and weighed. All boats were light making for some interesting protests... Today we started our day building a paddle to comply with another rule which was challenged by the Dutch team who had earlier been disqualified due to being under weight. SO the organizers had the scales calibrated and all teams were re-measured and I think they have all been disqualified from their last race (Lucky for Darren Bundock it was his worst race)

So... now we wait to see what the decision is for the final qualifying races so that we can get into the finals and challenge for a top spot.

I have heard the weather is expected to be more of the same... really hot, and little wind. (though some people claim tomorrow is expected allot of wind... we'll see) Hopefully there is at least enough to sail - we like it when there are mild conditions. Looking forward to more competition tomorrow.

Tonight a bunch of the teams are making a new race at the local go-karting track... this is something I know a little about - so hopefully we can spank these Euros on the track too! ha-ha.

Follow the racing at: http://f18worlds2006.com/

More tomorrow..