On one hand there is a group that just want to get young people into the sport. Mostly people that you would not hook otherwise.

Then there is the group that are in the sport and want to get the best they can to introduce their own offspring to the sport or give the young ones they know in the sport the next step in performance or just design the best performer given the anticipated rules.

I agree with this assesment. And as such I think the Formula setup of the class is key. If it were an OD then we would have to compremise between these two conflicting setups.

In a formula structure we can see both groups contribute to the class as a whole and more importantly the quick and dirty setup only has to different from the full force setup in the hulls. This means that while youngster is sailing and after the parent has evaluating the childs commitment to sailing is as sufficiently they can upgrade the boat with new and more performant hulls while just planting the rig and rudders over. This will save a bundle. I envision to old quicky and dirty platform to be moved on to another parent/child and thus grow the class by small steps at the time.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands