I understand, but how did the 29-ers get there ?

In 2000 the 29-er was a totally new design without any class following.

Now it has passed many classes in numbers of participants and youths sailing it, according to RYA.

How is that the 29-er can achieve that were other boats like the Wave didn't. I think the Wave was launched around the same time and marketed by arguably a much larger company called Hobie cat.

I'm interested to find out why you think that is if the boat itself has nothing to do with it ?

Here's my opinion:

The 49er is the "extreme" olimpic monohull. Kids like extreme sports. When a kid is sailing or leaving the Optimist, he is still too light and weak to sail the 49er. Convincing those kids that the 29er is the coolest available alternative is not difficult: after all, both look the same.

A similar situation once existed between the Optimist - 420 - 470.

The mulihull equivalent to the 29er would be a scaled down Tornado. The F16 or F14 could certainly be marketed as mini-Tornados but we would still miss the multihull equivalent to an Optimist.

I see it as a small one design cat powered by a simple rig, able to beat an Optimist in some key features:

-safety
-simplicity
-rigging time
-beauty
-price (if possible) and
-performance ( but not too fast, just enough to comfortably beat an Optimist. Parents prefer toys that keep kids within a manageable distance.)

An F12 could be the answer.

Lastly, both the Opti and the 29er are one designs. This gives a perception of "lower price and lower maintenance cost to remain competitive and get a reasonable resale value". We know that in the long run it isn't true, but the key for sales is "perception".

Luiz