My ideal path would indeed by like this

F12 : key target group of 12 years of age till 16, but possible to remain sailing till much older especially women. Daddy's car toppable play boat (as laser is now).

Nacra 500 : the doublehander boat from 16 years of age and daddies recreational cat. With spi it is better then the SL16.

F16 : As soon as a serious crew gets up to 120 kg combined, basically this means from 16 years onwards. Daddy's versatile recreational racer (both 1-up and 2-up mode). Feeder to both F18 and A-cat.

F18, A-cat : As the real training ground and racing classes for crews up from 140 kg (65 kg) ; 18 years and older. F18 as feeder class to Tornado. A-cat being the end stop for 1-up.

Tornado : Olympic slot.

This would be the equivalent of :

Opti/topper/Splash/Laser 4.7, laser radial and laser adult (F12 at 3000 Euro)
420, 470, 29-er (Nacra 500 = at 10.500 Euro)
29-er / RS600 / musto skiff (F16 = at 14.500 Euro)
49-er (F18 c.q A-cat/Tornado = at 18.000 and 25.000 Euro)

I think with such a line up we can really provide a comparable path to what the mono's have. The other halve of the story is then to organise such a setup into a organisation that is supported internationally by the cat sailors. With "try-out" programs and shared events where all 5 classes (except Tornado) are present. That will be the really hard part, but I think it can be done. Then the goal is to get all 5+tornado classes to refer to eachother in those specific roles and thus close the circle and present an unified concept and growth track to the outside world. This should not be too hard to do, won't cost anything.

With respect to the designs, those classes except for the F12 exist already and are sufficiently succesful to be assured continued existance. With the Nacra 500, one is even assured ample cheap second hand boats (BIG problem with the SL16). All the rest are self supportive. Nacra 500 is also significantly cheaper, by about 20%.

The F12 can be created, it will cost less then 4000 USD and perform as good as a Hobie 14 and the doublehanded 29-er. Setup time under 10 minutes and it'll weight under 65 kg. Ideal weight 60 kg (so women will love it), but with a range from 40 kg to 80 kg. 80 kg means two kids double handing will still have fun. Boat will carry alot more weight but not in a performance oriented way. It will be about 20% faster then the adult Laser-1 version and 30 % faster then the kiddies laser 4.7.

The intent of the F12 is to throw these boats around, maybe with some soda-pop sponsorship and spoil the young brats. Once you have gone fast at 12 years of age, you will never look at the slower dinghies in the same way again. As a result they will look at the next step up in cats (nacra 500/F16). Getting them at age 16 or 18 is too late as then they will have experienced their formative years in the dinghies classes and have made friends c.q. formed loyalties there.

That is my take on the situation.

I think we can make this work, it may not be perfect for everybody and I'm sure things could be made perfect here and there but this is what we as amateurs can MAKE to work with the minimal required effort and financial input. And these two considerations are of paramount importance. A perfect but unobtainable setup is as good as none. But we need to together, we ALL need to work together to make it happen and have a decent shot at succes.

I guess I'm asking for you guys feedback and possible involvement.

So what do you think.

Wouter

Wouter,

I like the thought process here. I agree with others that opti sailing begind much earlier. I began on Scorpions, then Lasers, then at 14 my first cat. I think that there does need to be some road to go from a opti that would entice youths to switch to multihulls. I like the F12 and wonder if this can be setup to be a safe, easy to rig boat, that also is easy to right.

As avid catsailors, we need to develop and promote a path to the world of multihulls to our youth programs. We also need to get involved at a yatch club/youth program level and be directly involved with the programs. I have helped more than a few young sailors weave their way through to cats, and am using my a-class to do that right now with 2 teenagers who are sailing 420's and lasers. All I can do is get them out on it and get them excited about sailing cats. I use my classic rig Tornado for the same thing.

Again, the essential point is to develop a path. A path that can be supported at a club level and to get involved with it. It is also essential to get companies like Vanguard behind the production and development of the boats. Vanguard has a great track record with development boats as well as classes like the Laser & 420. I still regularly sail my laser. Steve Clark who is an avid cat sailor, might be approachable with the right boat/concept. I do not know him, but I would approach him if I believed in the class,concept and structure.

Tom Siders
A-Cat USA-79
Tornado US775