What about a coordinated marketing program that introduces Optimist sailors to catamarans as a logical step after their 470 stint?

Well that is the general idea with the line-up suggested.

It seems that a complete cat program from youth starter to olympics would take huge human resources and more money than is probably in the entire catamaran market already.

I don't think it has to be. Afterall most classes in the line already exist. Nacra 500, F16, F18/A-cat, Tornado ; so no money is spend on creating this line-up. What needs to be done is coordinate the track between these classes, that is probably takes alot of manhours massaging and smooth talking objectionists but doesn't require any money.

Below the nacra 500 a gap is experienced apparently, so a design need to be found or a new design needs to be created here, together with building its class. That is more work and requires money, but luckily this needs to be a very simple and inexpensive cat anyway, that is if it is to furfill its role to max. So money investment might be very acceptable here. Currently the cost per new F12 (just as an example) is detailed to comes out at 3641 USD when the rudders, rudderstocks and the sail are bought from professional suppliers. These items are actually the two most expensive on the listing, homebuilding them saves about 900 USD and puts the overall cost to roughly 2500 USD. That is still not the same as the cost for a video game but much more attractively priced for a sponsor then a 10.000 boat. I think that it is within the reach of a dedicated club to raise the money to build several of these 12 footers.

I also strongly believe that this is an area why we mustn't look to closely at the obstacles (that will only demotivate) but rather at how one would make it happen if one was forced to do it with a gun to his head. It is often surprising how impossible things can be made to happen if you force yourself to make it happen "somehow !". A "can-do" mentality often does indeed produce results.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands