Here is my explanation of the 2 variations of the same design.

I don't share the opinion that we should have a full-on development part in the F12 class.

My vision of having two variations of the same boat is this. Both are OD (but not SMOD), but with ample freedom to modify details that don't directly improve performance significantly. The simple version is there to be home-build first time around by an amateur for very little cost. In effect this is the low cost entry for those sailors. The second version can be had by upgrading the simpler version (using the same mast and platform) with a more performant fully battened sail etc. This will be more expensive but won't be expensive. The basic platform remains the same.

The simpler version is not at all expected to be faster then the "real" F12 for competitively oriented youths, but it won't be much slower either. In effect they can always race against eachother as the simpler version will not have any unfair advantage apart from being alot cheaper to build. The simpler version is the craft that many want simply to get kids on the water, the normal version is the design to build the international class upon.

Now I don't really think this makes our life alot easier in getting the class accepted by sailing organisations as a youth boat, but I'm trying to satisfy the diverging desires of the group this way.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands