I don't like the looks of the spade rudders and skegs, but I like the rationale behind them. As long as manouverability is maintained I think they are vey practical. I have observed beginning optimist sailors struggle to get their foils in place after launching when they launch off a ramp. Same for coming back to the ramp. Not having to worry about the foils when launching or coming back is great. Same for sailing in shallow waters, just no worries about damaging foils. The skegs would protect the spade rudders, so with metal lists on the skegs the boat can be dragged over gravel or even concrete with the ruddes in place. Makes rigging, storage and retrieving/launching easier and faster. Not having daggerboards is a good safety measure if the boat suddenly stops with the boards up. Those trailing edges are pretty sharp if you hit them at speed. To boot the spade rudders are the cheapest as well, should be an easy solution in my opinion. I sure hope our youngest will be interested in a couple of years!