As a M4.3 owner, if truely a boat for 10-12 yr olds, I would want to see significantly lighter, less parts and something that a kid or two can set up by themselves. Forget about performance in favor of easier setup/tear down by the kids.

So, I vote for number 2 (deep rudder, skeg hull). Definitely would not want to see boards. Would love an un-stayed rig. A two piece mast for trailering. Like the idea of the tiller in front of the mainsheet. If there is some way to make the hulls quick-disconnect from the beams, it would be a plus for storage, car top and trailer options.

Would I buy one? Already have the M4.3 and a fleet in Ohio so probably not. But you really can't get a new M4.3 so for new entry it would be nice to have something to direct them to.

This is probably the best definition of the desired features for an entry cat!

The boat is for kids and must "catch" their spirit, but the parents are the ones who have to pay, transport, fix, rig and de-rig it - so we'd better listen to them.

In your opinon, can kids handle the rigging and de-rigging process with the proposed configuration (#2)? Do you have a simple method that could be used to train kids to raise the mast/sail by themselves?

Luiz