In 2001 a couple of us started a class we later called Hobie 101. The idea then was to get maybe 5 boats out and maybe we could "snatch" one or two into racing. That first class attracted 20 people in 10 boats! We were blown away. We instantly realized there was a vacuum that needed to be filled.

Our local dealer is very active. But unless you already knew you wanted to buy a boat, there wasn't any way to check out the fun of a cat...until our class came along.

Six years later we are offering Hobie 101 to standing-room-only crowds every year! This thing hasn't peaked. People are still coming out of the woodwork. Some have boats already, some are checking them out to see if they want to buy.

We spend a whole day with them. Why? Not to teach them. (I/we actually have better things to do than spend a day coaching.) It's so we can get a chance to spend some time with them building a relationship. "They don't care how much we know until they know how much we care!"

After a few years we started maxing out facilities and needed to start restricting attendance. (Is that a wierd turn of events, or what?) So we raised the price from $10 (to cover a great lunch!) to $25 and started calling it a fund raiser. We are getting 35-45 people per class. We only teach it once a year. Get this -- the fleet nets $3-500/year on a "fund raiser" designed specifically to build membership!

I could give you the numbers over the last 6 years -- they are staggering! Multihull racing in the Northwest is alive and well in no small part to Hobie 101. Jerry Valeske and Laura Sullivan and the rest of Fleet 95 teach the class nowadays. It is exciting for the attendees as well as the fleet members to see the new faces come out of the woodwork.

I approached HCA with the idea, and offered to take it nationwide. The idea was warmly received, but nothing was ever done. It seems most sailors are more interested in attending the next 25-boat regatta than investing one day a year for a 40-50 boat regatta. So maybe the problem lies with the culture -- teaching sailors you get out of it what you put into it. Dunno.

Caleb Tarleton also puts on "Fast & Fun" every year in Kirkland. Strangers can show up and ride a Wave (with a fleet member) for free for 20 min. or so. Another great introduction program.

The ideas are boundless. But unless the local sailors understand the value of investing in the ideas, they are worthless.

For more information on Hobie 101, I may be reached at nelson(dot)peter(at)comcast(dot)net.

Time Warp Racing
Hobie 14, 16, & 17, Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2