It seems like this same question gets asked every few months, how to increase sailing's popularity? I think sailing just has too many elements against it to ever be popular with the masses (BMX/Skateboard level).

I've taken my 20 something friends out on my hobie in 20+ knots of wind. They've all had a blast, they said it was fun, they've even asked what it cost for a used boat. None of them have bought a boat.

Sailing is expensive, period. You can go to walmart and buy your kid a cheap bike. He may get made fun of, but he'll still have a bike. How many americans would rather own a used hobie cat over their 52" plasma HD TV?

Sailing is difficult. It's not intuitive and it takes a long time to be confident enough to be able to go out and come back in one piece.

Sailing requires a lot logistically. Unless you live right on the water, sailing requires travel, set-up, and generally is a full day activity minimum. Most people aren't willing to make that kind of commitment. I have a friend who's "an avid skier" I think he skis about 2 or 3 times a year.

I would say, however, that products like the Hobie Wave are probably the best bet towards growing the sport.

sm