I think the majority of what's missing in sailing popularity is obviouslly getting people on the water, hiking out on a cat. Or to simplify it even further, informing people about what cat sailing is. I know I'm speaking from limited experience and a geographically minimal opinion, but I know that myself and most of the people I knew growing up in high school, 30 min away from a lake and 1 1/2 hr. from the beach, had no idea what a catamaran was. Other than the fact that it is a twin hulled boat. I'd of likely never gotten into it if my dad hadn't sailed them before I was born and a buddy's dad had my future boat sitting in his driveway. I think having lively representatives to look up to and strive to perform like, such as skateboarders, snowboarders, etc. is definately something that needs to happen, but I think it is less important now than getting people informed is. Sailing popularity is more or less dependent on geographic location. I'm sure those that grew up on the water know all about cats, but those such as myself who are more or less inland don't see or hear about them as often.

Then there are things such as cost. Sailing, even old, used boat sailing isn't exactly easy on the pocket. You have to get a boat, drive to a location (don't get me started on gas prices), buy parts, buy gear. I understand this is no different than any other sport but when you talk about sailing your talking about more dough. Then there's those who may want to do it but don't have a license. They are dependant on their parents to get them into it, as well as get them to sailing locations. How long do you think a 13 year old will keep his/her interest in sailing if they only get to go a handful of times a year.

In a way sailing takes much more dedication than many of the more popular sports. Don't get me wrong, I think the dedication in sailors is something all athelets should strive for, but it is far easier to grab your board and go than it is to set up your cat for sailing. I personally wouldn't trade it for anything. I tried skating, but didn't like spending so much time on my butt.

Ultimately I think it relies on people actually seeing cats in action. It's hard to become interested in something you've never seen. Maybe you Cali guys can hook up those kids on The Hills with some cats. J/K.

James
1983 Hobie 16'