I once read an interview with Gary Jobson about how to get more media coverage for sailing. He talked about the extreme dificulty of getting cameras placed on the water, in the boats, following the racers, the problems with the video feed, water getting into equipment, and most of all, getting some announcers who could explain it all in layman's terms, while making it sound exciting, to an uneducated audience.

Compare the logistics of that to say the XGames Skateboarding half pipe competition, where it's indoors, they can set up 3-4 fixed cameras, maybe a helmet cam, it is self explanitory to the average 14 yr. old watching, and all the announcer has to say is, "WOW, I've NEVER seen THAT before!!"

OK, now put yourself in the President of ESPN's shoes, and tell me which one costs less to produce and which is the easier sell to your advertisers, in a word, which is going to net you (ESPN) MORE MONEY.

That's why we don't see much sailing on TV.

BTW, I did get to watch the Monsoon Cup Match Racing Championships a couple days ago, but I was in a hotel room in Seoul. It was very well done but even for an addict like me, I found it a little slow at times. After the start, the lead almost never changed. I have found much more sailing on TV when I'm outside the USA. Yet they are all speaking english, usually with a US announcer. I wonder why we can't get it on one of our 200+ cable channels?

Last edited by Timbo; 12/05/07 07:01 PM.

Blade F16