modern hull designs will plane.

Some of the older ones would as well (see warbird's Tigershark project.)

Here is an image of the first run of the boat. Tiger Shark 18 foot Ron GIven design.
I sailed for two hours just checking everything that was wrong with the rig and boat (which was plenty).
The boat sailed faster than my Nacra 12sq and NEVER tried to pitch. The Nacra would have been a hand full at that stage and I would have been constantly altering trim with the bow an inch or two from the surface. My Hydra 16 would also have been pitching.
When I got onto this boat I stepped over the bows slopping sand spots on both hulls. The sand was still there on return to the beach.
The boat planed up wind and down.
most noticeable difference in driving the boat is a much lighter and more stable feel.

My reasoning is very simple here.
The TS was designed on the Paper Tiger basic platform and stretched to be a
30 foot twin trap rig.
WHile the hulls my want to pane thay cannot in the twin man guise as there is not enough boyancy to get it going as the power drives the hulls down into the water.
I have cut the rig down by more than 5 feet. I have square topped the old sail and taken some amount off the foot length. I have raked the rig back a lot.
I am at present one man up and so the power quickly pushes the hulls up and out of the water.

I have ben working getting my H17 together this last month as it is my daily ride and can now go back to this project.
Whirlwind are making new sails for it and I have to get into heavier weather.
Again, my stated goal is 25 knot runs over the distance the Tornadoes were running.

Attached Files
142849-DSC_7083.jpg (227 downloads)