Your explanation really strikes a chord from my landsailing and drag from the rig being the primarily limiter of speed. In beachcats I was sure it was hull drag, although I knew it wasn't Froude's thing.

max speed is always the result of the play between ALL drag components and ALL drive components, this does always included hull drag. The question that is valueable from engineering viewpoint (improving speed) is to what extent each component is important. It makes no sense in spending resources on lowering a drag factor that only comes 6th in line with respect to importance. If oen does then it will most likely means spending lots of resources on very marginal performance increases. At this time the whole rig (and others) are above wave-making drag on the listing. Actually wetted surface drag (surface area hull) is higher in the listing as well. And that is why planing works on some sailboat design. Planing reduced wetted surface drag while accepting increases in wave-making drag. This is a very important principle to understand by all who want to make sense of this whole thread.

My point to you is that I was argueing that we should not totally ignore wave-making drag but give it the correct placing on the listing of importance (magnitude) and Froude's law intepreted as max hull speed law doesn't do that.

So, for just an approximate understanding of what's happening on more recent beach cat hull designs when the crew sense 'planing' are the hulls just experiencing 'forced mode' in different (from, say, a Tornado, Tiger or P19) way?

That is my understanding for 99% of catamaran designs.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands