This is my 2 cents and nothing more. Most if not all recreational sailors are intimidated by the racing scene. I know many ocean sailing beach cat owners that have never attended a race anywhere nor would they. My personal experiences with racing have been very mixed, sometimes positive other times negative. I know when I load up my boat to go race that I most likely will not return victorious. It doesn't matter which class I'm in as there are always more seasoned and better racers there. I go to support cat racing, period. I know that if I am not willing to support it there will come a day when its not available. I also realize that as the numbers continue to dwindle the hope of racing based on experience dwindles as well( ie: a,b & c fleets). I will still come when its convenient for
me and the weather looks good. IMO new racers are not greeted with the enthusiasm and assistance that they require. Few speak to the strangers and even fewer offer to help them set up and tune. Why is there not more effort made to explain the rules prior to the race? I know of 1 skipper in particular, good ocean sailor, that got so frustrated at a bouy race because he couldn't understand what was happening, that now is only interested in distance races. If its not beginner friendly, beginners will not attend. One bad event and its over, interest lost. Each and every race, and the way its handled, is critical. You can't afford to upset anyone if you wish the sport to grow.