Rolf
This not exactly the same topic... but related...
Here is one of the repercussions of bureaucrats taking away your rights to defend your selves with firearms…a much larger scale, but the results are the same.

The topic? Piracy in the Gulf of Aden

Here is what one of the crewmen of a ship who transverses this part of the world has to say..

I worked on ships in that area and the best and least expensive solution is automatic weapons and rockets and 3 to 5 man security teams on every ship. They could move from one ship to another like harbor pilots do after they leave the danger area. The problem is international laws make it difficult to have any guns on a ship. Change that law and we have a defense. Let the anti gun groups around the world [United Nations] force all of us to go completely defenseless with the vague promise of call the cops and you will be protected. It sounds good on paper but in reality it can't work due to the enormous cost to protect every ship from outside the ship. The best defense is a good offense. Anyone who doesn't believe me should board a ship and go through there with your Utopian ideals and hope for the best. You might get lucky, because luck is all you have without a gun.

People that advocate gun control seem to be of the naive opinion that everyone can be reasoned with...a ideology that is based on a false premise...you can't reason with someone who has no value for human life...not yours...not mine...not their own...Doesn't matter if its a Somalia pirate or a 14 year old gang banger with a Mack 10.

Regards,
Bob