Guys (and Gals),

First let me state that I do carry insurance on my boats and I would have gone to the hospital ...

Now if it can be proved that the skipper in question had prior knowledge of the frontcrossbar to being defective ... he's in trouble ... if he had no prior knowledge it will make the issue of accessing/assigning fault more difficult. But as this skipper was previously a "professional rigger" an argument can be made that he should have had additional knowledge that he should have used to access the P19's seaworthyness ... this could be a interesting case study.

FYI: Realize there are 50,000,000 people in the United States that do not have any medical coverage currently ... that is approximently 1 in 6 persons .... maybe we as citizens of the USA need to fiqure out a way that provides medical coverage to everyone like they have been able to do in all the other "western industrialized" countries??? (Just want everyone to think about this fact)

Secondly, just as a sidenote and (I have had the "discussion" w/ several unfriendly waterfront landowners and police over the years) ... International Maritine Law states that a skipper is responcible for the safety of his crew and vessel .... and due to equipment failure or weather conditions may seak "safe haven" at any place the skipper deems neccesary. So if your crew is injured or your boat is broken as skipper you can land anywhere and seek "safe haven" for your crew and vessel.... so the wreckage of the P19 could have been brought ashore anywhere it could be dragged to.

Now let's just think also of the responcibility of the race commitee and "INSURANCE" .... if Small Craft Advisories were "Up", do you think that the race commitee can be sued??? Or maybe the RC should be respouncible to inspect all boats for insurance coverage????

Lots of "sticky" questions here ....

HarryMurphey