Ed,

I hadn't heard that you started and completed the "Statue" on a "A-Cat" not once but twice .... thats 36 miles (on the rumbline) each time on what can be some of the roughest sailing around.

I stand corrected and humbled by your achievement ... will you allow me to buy you some beverages and dinner when you visit RHYC in June????

Herbie53

Please read that second sentence in your first post carefully .... I've owned a TheMightyHobie18 since 1985 .... and WHAT did you compare my boat to ???? You flicked my "Irish" switch .....

I should have ignored it but ... I am Irish!!!!

Next, a set of new sails(from the Hobie Factory) cost $1300-$1400 currently .... the price set of sails for my P19MX currently (from recent quotes) $2200-$2500. And that doesn't include the spinnacker .... should we add another $1200-$1500 ??? Both sets last about the same length of time w/ the TheMightyHobie18 Dacron jib lasting just slightly longer then the P19MX Pentex jib. (The Pentex doesn't seem to like "flogging" and can start to de-laminate if "flogged" for any amount of time.)

I was also trying to point out to Roland (gently) that he may want to consider a "more child proof boat" let's say .... what would happen if some kids wanted to "Play" on an A-Cat ... you know climb all over, jumping up and down on the tramp ... let alone go for a ride .... can you take two people out on an A-Cat????? Even if one is small as a child????

It's been my observation (from watching my bud's getting married and starting families)... if the whole family can not participate in an activity, the family will fined and change to an activity that will allow them to participate together.

And then I don't know how many times I've seen the scenerio of someone buying "Too Much" boat and getting caught out on a breezy/windy day and coming back in w/ the "Sh_t Scared Out of Them" ..... I saw that alot w/ the female/male teams on the Hobie 20 (Miracle) when they first came out. A couple of my friends did that to their wives and that was it .... done!!!

And in closing ... high tech is not a Monohull vs Multihull issue. There are Hi-Tech multi's and also Mono's just as there are low tech Multi's and Mono's. What do you think it costs to campaign a Melges 24, a "J" boat or a Star boat??? If you discount my sailing sunfishs and frostbiting Lasers, I've been on one monohull sailboat (an Island Packet) and I couldn't get used to the boat heeling over 45* ... my beer kept on spilling. So just because I'm promoting selecting a meduim-tech boat doesn't make me a "MONOHULLER"!!!!!

Now when you come over to RHYC in June, I'll buy you a beer, or several and we'll have a good laugh about this ...

HarryMurphey