150 kg displacement! At 120 kg it starts already to look a little bit poofy.

and

Think more in lines of skegs vs. daggerboards, i.e. ease of use.

How about this side view.

It was designed for 125 kg optimal displacement; this is not the same as MAX displacement. So the 50kg craft with a 75 kg skipper will have the optimal attitude in the water and have the optimal beam clearance. One that is the equal of the 5.00 mtr boats like the Nacra 500, Hobie Max and just a tad less then the F16's when all of these are sailed at 135kg crew weights. Its decks are only 250 mm wide for the 125 kg displacement. A 85 kg skipper will be equal to a 150 kg crew on any of these 5 mtr long boats. That is probably enough. I sailed the nacra 500 at 160 kg and it was fine.

I like this particular hull shape when opting for a skeg. The added benefit of the skeg is thatit takes only about 9 kg at the bow to lift the hulls up to roll the cat tracks under them. That is instead of 21 kg ! A huge difference for a youth boat I say. The skeg brings the fulcrum way forward and you'll notice that. The first mtr in front of the skeg will have an aluminum strip fixed to it. To cut down on keel wear. Of course the true hull will run its keel line in a curve from bow to stern just below the 2.70 measurement line. The skeg itself is just a 20 mm wide plate and protrudes further down.

What I need is a good method of producing such hulls but Gato is developing such a method with his foam plancking idea. That may just do the trick !

How about it John, too poofy ?

Wouter

Attached Files
Last edited by Wouter; 05/14/09 01:07 PM.

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands