I have nothing against alumasts or unstayed rigs, what I did was the cheapest solution I could find where I live.

Ohh please, don't think I have any objections. I think it is very entlightening what you are doing with the masts and hull construction. No need to develop the unstayed rigs, we already know the data related to those.

You are doing new stuff which is many times more valuable.

And thanks for the new data.

Again, for the other designers out there. The 5.8 mtr equivalent (unstayed alu from plain tubing) would come out at 8.5 kg. So a 2.5 kg loss to the unstayed alu mast in that situation. And it will feel the same when accelerating or decelerating. The unstayed rig just has its weight lower in the mast, thus resulting in equality between the two masts. That is good to know as you already state that the dive recovery of the DS12 and Tabby were acceptable.

I am about to start one in Foam/carbon just for fun.

Now THAT is very interesting.

Also for the F16's. I'm not expecting the foam to add more then about 1.5 kg to the mast weight (using 5 mm thick strips). And we already know that a viable carbon mast without foam comes in at 10 kg when bare. So 12 kg for the bare F16 mast section should be viable; arriving at sub 15kg for the fully fitted mast. With a tip weight a tad above the class minimum of 6kg (alu F16 mast have about 7.5 kg, that is when the supplier ships the right one). And it is homebuildable !

If you can perfect this building method then you really have something very interesting.

So yes, I'll be keeping a close eye on your webpage.

Wouter

Last edited by Wouter; 05/18/09 07:51 AM.

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands