What about having a "Social Director" type person at every regatta, to welcome any newbies, introduce them around, answer questions, help them get registered, hook them up with someone with experience if they need help stepping their mast, etc??

I was reading all these posts and thinking back to my first cat regatta, at which I had NO IDEA what I was doing. If it had not been for Brian Karr and Tammy introducing me around, and all the others who helped me set up my boat, showed me how to use Beach Wheels, loaned me their beach wheels (I was going to back my boat down the ramp off the trailer, because I didn't know any better) got me out to the starting line on time, etc, etc, etc. I would have probably left in disgrace and never returned. They made me feel welcome, loaned me a spray top for Tom when it started raining, they could not have been nicer!

Every Fleet should have someone designated as the Social Director and Newbie Welcome Committee. Brian and Tammy did it for our old Nacra 5.5 fleet, Gina McDonald does it for the F16 fleet. Every fleet needs a "Go To" person to get the newbies pointed in the right direction, I think. And to introduce the Newbies around to the Old Heads.

Jack, I know plenty of asswipes.

You Sir, are NO butt! Jack took it upon himself to introduce this Newbie to Vintage Auto Racing, and thanks to him, I'm hooked. Now I just have to convince the wife I need another toy! Jack, if we had more guys like you doing the same thing for catsailing, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Somebody has to take it upon themselves to bring in new blood.

But really, we should each try to bring in at least one newbie every year, right? Sell them your old boat and buy a new one. Win-Win.

Brian Karr single handedly (well, with Tammy) developed our old 5.5 Dead Boat Society, remember? He got me to sell my old Hobie 18 when he found me a great deal on a used 5.5

We need more like BK and Jack! And more social directors at the regattas like Gina McDonald.

Thanks for all the help and fun, all you Social Directors.

Blade F16