Hey, how about this a deterrent to fun, random, recreational sailing:
Trying to get a rating for my F31. There is a "local" organization that provides these ratings. In order to get a rating I need my boat weight (not easy) and then have all my sails measured by a sailmaker - or competitor. Not worth it for one or two regattas a year. I guess it makes sense if you are serious about it, but I was going to get a rating to do one regatta. I think it would take a full day to take the sails off, either take it to a sailmaker (and how much do they charge?) or waste someone else's time, then put them back on.

yes... it suddenly occurred to me that you guys have to do this (I think) for a lot of the class events, but seems super painful to me.

Another thing that makes me not want to do regattas is the yelling that occurs at times. I crewed on a J29 for a year or so for fun, club level, races. The amount of screaming and yelling and name calling made me wonder why the hell anyone would voluntarily put themselves into that position.

And yes, there are so many rules (which there has to be I think) that I can't keep anything straight. I can sort of figure them out if I can think about it for a few minutes... but I chose to bail in on-the-water situations when I don't have the time to think about it and feel 100% certain I am in the right.

Last edited by PTP; 05/27/09 06:34 PM.