Originally Posted by Mary
I have been on the North Atlantic on 100 ft fishing vessels in BFT 11-12, and there is no way I would let my 13 year old (actually mine is 12...) take the chance of experiencing that! Even Bft 6-7 on the open ocean is very hairy in a 24 ft boat

Why would she have to experience that? Lots and lots of people are sailing around the world all the time, and they have absolutely no problem, because they can pick their weather and have no deadlines.

It's not like racing or commercial fishing or charters or boat deliveries, where you have deadlines and end up getting into trouble as a result.

I would hope that one would do some planning for contingencies when prepraring for a trip like this, and not just hope for the best....I think it is irresponsible to assume or plan that someone can get around without running into a single storm system. While a significant part of the trip can be completed by harbor-hopping, there are some large chunks of ocean to cross in order to get around...Planning for the weather on one of these larger crossings is impossible, since big weather systems can spin up in a matter of days, and in that boat there is no chance to outrun them!

Arie
Hobie 16 111812