Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
I ask you the same question. What makes you think the rules shouldn't apply to you?

Ah... but its not ME....
Does that mean you acknowledge that this rule does apply to you, and that you are obligated to comply, whether or not anybody protests you?

It's my Class and their collective unwritten consensus that has decided that the CE/USG and Type 4 rule is not relevant to sportsmanship, competition in the class, nor is this disruptive to the general order of sailboat racing world wide.

Try weighing "collective unwritten consensus" against "authoritative written rule". Sportsmanship includes following the rules. Implicit group collusion to ignore the rules does not constitute good sportsmanship.

Your example speaks to the unfair interference of one sailor with the race of another sailor. The RRS managed the conflict.

I don't see the parallel to this issue. My not having a thowable does not impact on your racing. My wearing a CE vest does not interfere with your racing. My competitors in the class don't care either.

Personally, I don't care what PFD you choose to wear either. My point is that you both rationalized your infractions with the argument of "no harm, no foul". Furthermore, both you and he blame not yourselves for breaking a rule, but others for enforcing it.

If you break a rule (especially with premeditation and intent), don't blame someone else when you get penalized. It is your own fault.