Just to follow up, the F16 Club is a great idea, my "summarized" two cents as a long time opti coach at the national level:
-target the racing kids coming out of Optis. They are the ones that are looking to spend $$$ on a top notch 420 (10k, easily)
-Don't say "sail 420s or us", do like the 29er has, offer the boat as an alternative that compliments 420 sailing (most 29er kids I've worked with only used 420s for a season to get up to speed on double handed boats).
- Price Price Price, match top end 420s, 29ers, or don't bother
- To parent's, debunk the myth that a 420 is easier to maintain then a cat. Trust me, 420s SUCK to cart around to regattas, but on roofs, etc. Steping a mast on a viper is trivial compared to car topping a 420.
- Sell the boat with a trailer, see above two notes
- DEMO the heck out of the boat at opti regattas. If I don't see two club vipers sitting at Orange Bowl this winter you have missed out big time (800+ junior sailors in Optis, 420s, 29ers, Laser 4.7, radials and full rigs). THAT is your demographic.

I look forward to pushing these boats. Learn from Bic and the o'pen bic, big club deals (buy 10 at a ridiculously low price, get dollys, etc etc). They haven't surpassed the Opti, but certainly got a lot of clubs buying in.