Originally Posted by John Williams
For those in the Northern Hemisphere, and far south enough that your boat isn't covered in snow, what sort of work do you do in the off-season to get ready for the first race of the year?

I spent the last couple of days taking parts off for cleaning and lube, and out-of-the-sun storage. I also put on fresh bungee, a new main halyard, and replaced a spin block. I think I'd like to replace some dyneema bits, maybe a new spin halyard and bridles.

Of course, the full yard cover is all buttoned up, too, with chocks strategically placed on the tramp to prevent puddles.

What's your routine?

I had hoped to give the 20 a new bottom and add line 'n cleat adjustable diamond wire tension to the a-cat - but delays in getting Garage Mahal wired, plumbed, and fenced are precluding that. In the meantime, I'll tackle some smaller issues on the A-cat - a daggerboard trunk that is leaking water into the hull, fairing both daggerboards, and some minor repairs/replacements to some worn hardware before heading to Islamorada in January. The 20 is in pretty good shape with the re-rigging done to it last spring though it may see a couple of simple rigging changes focused toward buoy racing (since that's what he's slated for in the next couple of months).

Jake Kohl