Originally Posted by Jake
I also don't think that the new boat prices we are seeing with the Formula 18 and Nacra 20 will be able to sustain themselves. I could buy a new boat when they were $14k but the prices have far exceeded inflation (and my wage if I want to keep having a newish truck and to maintain my home)...hopefully they will self adjust back to a more reasonable level (sub $20k). This is what will keep the Nacra 20 class alive.

I think Jake has kind of hit the nail on the head for catamarans in general. To get into beach cat racing it cost 20 – 30 grand for a boat that will be outdated almost as fast as the last computer you bought. The cost factor is what keeps our younger generation out of our sport gone are the days when you can buy a new boat for under $5,000, $10,000, $15,000, $20,000, $30,000? ………
One thing that got me about some of the organized races it that they were “brand” specific ok that as good for the manufacture but bad for the owner. Once that type of boat is passé in terms of design or what the manufactures wants to push or further develop leaves the owners hanging in the hands of the company. Class racing when all is equal is fun and a sailor can excel on their skill.
The Portsmouth handicap-based rating system as great although I don’t think anybody will ever agree on the rating that their actual boat receives. I sailed once for a Portsmouth and the game was to just beat, barely, the other manufactures boat in the same size and price range for bragging rights. But besides the business aspect an open class that builders can develop a boat with new ideas, designs, and materials is good for sailing in general.
That is why I see the F16, F18, ect class growing.

Last edited by TheManShed; 06/24/11 08:49 AM. Reason: hmmm

Mike Shappell
www.themanshed.com
TMS-20 Builder
G-Cat 5.7 - Current Boat
NACRA 5.2 - early 70's