Capt’n,

What are you really expecting to happen here?

There are a fair number of I20 out there. The class is theoretically run by the factory, which as far as I’ve seen does nothing. The few active guys have tried to generate some interest, but cannot even agree to take over the organization themselves (Ding and his apathy comment are spot on)

Now you are tying again to start an F20 class. This was killed in the past by the I20 crowd refusing to compromise. (This is their right by the way.) Your current rule set is now another political BS compromise driven by a few responders (mostly I20 guys I would guess), who if history prevails will never actually join the class anyway, at least in a supporting role. (These guys are bitching now they do not want to race because somebody might have a new sail – and you expect them to come out when the boat next to them might weight 20 lbs less???) You are now far enough away from the I20 rule that they will not change, you eliminate several current designs, and have nothing of interest to present to even a home builder to try and make a boat to fit.

To get new boats into the mix, there has to be 1) An active race schedule already in place, or 2) Some other incentive for a builder to make a boat. The I 20 is the only existing boat that could be qualified to be currently active, unless you throw in a few H20 with spins. Not even the current builder of the I20 is interested in the prospect of helping this. The other reason there are 20’s of other design showing up is to provide a chance to achieve line honors at races. The biggest fastest boat generates press and advertising value for the company/ designer or whatever. Building a politically compromised I 20 will get nothing in the way of interest from any builder and without boats you will not get the racing no matter how many posts you throw out there.

If you really want to race a 20 and get the fleet going then fast, then get off your butt and round up the I 20 guys out there.

Otherwise just open up the B class rules 20 long 10 wide and some limit on sail area – all else goes. See what eventually gets built for line honor boats. It took a long time for the C-class but it is still going.