I'm certain all this nonsense would be prevented if someone non-partisan group were hosting the event, but it would appear that no one has stepped up to that challenge so far, so kudos to anyone who does want to set up an event

It's certainly understandable if a business owner were to arrange an event to promote their stuff. It's also understandable that all those excluded from participating would be put off a bit and further polarize our already fractured community of beachcat sailors.

Personally I support anyone willing to host a regatta because it's a huge PITA for very little return.

With this being said (the huge PITA part), why not exponentially improve turnout by inviting as many people as you can? I don't think the PITA factor increases that much more if you invite one particular group or several? Especially if those other groups supply a little help...

Would hosting a Hobie National or Division level event generate the participation needed to make hosting it worth it?

Seems to me that NA's are one of the few regattas that have the kind of critical mass to make it worth the "invitation only" status

Jay