Not that anyone cares or will change their mind, but I was in the room when the decision was made by the class association.

While Hobie Cat Co. had legitimate business concerns, it was ultimately up to the class to decide. Many fleets and divisions were struggling (losing sailors to non-Hobie boats) and were concerned that the class wasn't following the IHCA or NAHCA bylaws by promoting the open events. Others were afraid that their events would dry up without the non-Hobies. The class leaders ultimately decided to go with the Hobie-only plan.

Hobie Cat Co. recognized that this would not be an easy transition, and now gives the class far more support ($$,$$$) than before the change was made.

Regardless of what you think happened, this is how it really went down. I'm reasonably sure this was also documented in the newsletter at the time.

Having said all of that, it changes nothing. Spend some time at monohull regattas this summer and you should see where I'm coming from. I know the F18 guys (at least in New England) have this perspective and are growing by taking advantage of it.

Mike