As the only one that posts here and lives here in Charlotte County, its my turn. A little history first.

I learned to sail from the Charloote County Red Cross back in 1973. The instructor looking at my hair hanging down to my shoulders said, "You should be sailing one of those Hobie Cats". I rented a 14 for an afternoon and I was hooked. In 1976 at age 22, I knew it was better up north and moved back to Northern Indiana. I soon saved enough for the down payment and had enough savings for a share loan from the credit union and was the proud owner of a new 1977 16'Hobie Cat. We sailed small lakes in the area the first year and then found Lake Street Beach in Gary and Hobie Fleet 126 in Michigan City. I was single and working with enough time to hit our club races, Division 10 and several Midwinters East inFlorida.

After getting laid off again in 1985, I moved back to Punta Gorda, expecting a simiar sailing scene.

WRONG!

There was seldom another beach cat on Chalotte Harbor. I sailed a few races with a fleet in Fort Myers. I probably met Pete. Then I got promoted at Radio Shack working 6-10's (according to the district manager my sole purpose in life was to increase sales and profits for the Tandy Corporation). The 1984 white sailed Hobie 16 got parked. I left the Shack and worked 9-5 M-F, but adopted a pair of sisters aged 1 & 2. The Hobie stayed parked for another 10 years until I felt the girls were big enough to safely sail on it. We still seldom saw another beach cat on Charlotte Harbor.

The oldest daughter and I raced a few times, JPOR and Dunedan, but she discovered boys and Dad wasn't as much fun.

Now the Hobie gets sailed for fun a few times a year and I crew on a Stiletto in the local club races.

Many times I have followed people towing cats to stop and talk, I'd give them one of my business cards and write Hobie on it for them and then never hear back. I followed on fellow with "Hobie" on his license plate. He didn't know Sailing from Shinola, that was his name.

I just came back from talking to Stuff4Toys. He just was added to the crew on the Stiletto. He is also the new Race Captain for the Punta Gorda Sailing Club.

After the Charlotte Harbor Regatta and the Conquistador Cup we are going to plan a get together at Port Charlotte Beach. He is now renting Waves there. The local paper will give us some publicity. We may or may not draw a crowd.

Last edited by jkkartz1; 01/11/13 02:50 PM.