What Phill gave us was a good method to determine fairness by looking at the surface. I think it was a very good post in its clarity.

With "perfect" fairness and surface finish the performance will still be good as the surface detoriates. If fairness and finish is inferior to begin with the performance will decrease faster while maintenance will be harder.

I have a hard time trying to think of an easy to follow procedure to produce that level of fairness within a reasonable amount of time, by hand. CNC have its advantages.

Next question could be what level of fairness and surface finish an "off the shelf" product has, and how they are produced?

From "back then" I think Phills foils used a homebrew CNC mill to produce cores and moulds. He would finish the cores and moulds by some hand sanding. It has been some time since I read this so please dont quote me and take this as gospel.

During the development of foiling Moths they hand built the foils to "good enough" performance to make them fly efficiently. It is surely still possible if one has the Zen smile