You are right, there is usually one fastest way to the top mark for sure. But when your sailing in a fleet thats not the case. How are you suposed to sail perfect VMG when you have a pincher camped above you taking your wind? Or if you get rolled by a boat travelling faster at the start how are you supposed to keep any height? In reality in a fleet you have to find a spot and get a start that lets you sail to your strengths whether it be pinching, perfect VMG or footing like a demon.

You have to be able to do it all. But you should know where your strengths lay.

I dont have any mathematical equations to give you. Like i said its just a theory, and im happy to be proven wrong. But if your pinching you want to be in super low drag mode. So you want the boards locked off straight so they are not giving you any extra drag so you can keep your height.

Sounds like the 2K boards in the nacra were the problem not the fact they were gybing. Rolf said they locked off the capricorn boards too and i dont think they chewed their boards up. Sailed a 10 year old cap this year with gybing boards. Wow what a weapon upwind.

Last edited by Aido; 04/22/13 05:40 PM.

Aido
Viper 288