Originally Posted by Jake
$10k is not much for all of that work...

Agreed, and if I were a dealer or manufacturer, I wouldn't look to this venture as a profit center.

More of a marketing share with the vision of getting more of my boats out there to market at a "reasonable" price for those who can't afford my boats fresh out of the mold. I'm sure that the concept of "Brand Loyalty" is still alive and well, even in formula/box-rule classes (performance metrics being equal, of course)

What could you assign to the marketing value of someone saying "Yes, I'll have 4 boats for charter at X, Y, and Z events"? Heck, some regatta organizers may wish to work out a side-deal to ensure sailors have options if they can't get their boat to an event.

Say the dealer takes delivery at one event (NA's), gets them to another two (worlds if in USA, possibly Alter) and maybe one or two marquee events (a steeplechase, Juana's, GT-300, RTI, for example) there MAY be interest in chartering a whole season by one team, or at least bidders for charter at each event.

I've done the math once or twice, and given the fuel/maintenance, hassle, and logistics of dragging my boat around the country individually, I suspect a well-developed plan by a dealer/distributor might capitalize on some economy of scale, a good market presence, more sailors out there sailing, and possibly not lose money in the process.

I'm sure "Dealer days" with test sails didn't sell too many boats off the bat, but it sure got people out of the woodwork. I view this as a similar strategy.

Which may be the reason why I'm not a dealer? smile

Last edited by waterbug_wpb; 07/22/13 02:03 PM.

Jay