Originally Posted by Pressure Drop
the tornado is larger, faster, carries more weight, and has a large preexisting global ownership base.

I thought the IOC/ISAF discussions pointed to those aspects as being somewhat negative... The goal was to get more female and/or mixed teams in Olympic sailing. If that was truly the concern then the first three items you indicate would possibly eliminate some smaller (stature/weight/strength) teams.

So the IOC probably sat at a table and said "what's going to put butts in the seats (generating TV and attendance revenue)?" and came up with a smaller platform, offered mixed gender format, and probably made some other changes.

So, after that, I believe sailors chose boats from an assorted (not unlimited, mind you) bunch of candidates. Since they seemed to like a smaller, less durable, faux-foiling design, let them run with it...

In my mind it's similar to the Star, laser, Etchell, Soling and other designs - they float but it's a b*tch to sail fast. None of those designs are the pinnacle of sailing (or technology), none typically last more than one olympic cycle. That they are still reasonably popular OD classes is a testament to their fleet organizers.

As for the platform, is the N17 going to take the world by storm? Doubt it. The T didn't (although it was close..).

Would I (non-olympic hopeful) consider an N17? Nope. For the same reasons I wouldn't consider a Star, Laser, or Etchell: Not my cup of tea.

Jay